Tuesday, November 14, 2017

I started the kitchen makeover

Well something big is happening...I'm painting our kitchen cabinets!
I knew from the first walk through I wanted to paint these. And after lots of Pinterest I ensured myself that I feel good in a white kitchen.
And after 4 years, I forced myself to start. Painting kitchen cabinets with a two year old around is not ideal. But I'm making it work.
I'm not going to make this a super long post because I'm in the middle of this project. But here's a bit of what's happening the last week or so. 


Top doors down, primed then painted.
I decided on using Valspar paint. I was so overwhelmed by the choices and hoping for good durablilty. But I've been very happy with everything I've used Valspar on. And I used this specific one (furniture paint) on my adorandak chairs with them living outdoors in the rain and the paint has held up very well. There is only mind chipping, but these chairs are so old it might be the stuff under the paint coming off. Most parts of the chairs look great. So I figured it would work in a kitchen where there is no rain.
And I started with Valspar bonding primer first.



I asked Blake to take down a pointless decorative board over the sink. We removed the cabinet over the fridge. (Something better is being brainstormed. As well as the vent hood I have hated very passionately. It was the weirdest shape on the front and off white.

We found an time capsule

Blake sanded everything for me.




I got the upper doors done and they look fabulous. The took two coats of primer. 2 coasts of paint on the backs and I called that good. But on the fronts I did three.




Living in the house right now is a bit tricky. I blocked the door ways with the fridge and a couch to keep the two year old out. So getting food to the table is a workout. But hopefully I'll be done this week.

Here's one coat of primer.

Two coats.
And that's where we stand today.

The room already feels super different! Brighter and more spacious. I'm really excited.
So two to three coats of paint to go. With 8 hours of drying time in between. (Rush it and it peels or stays tacky.)

I'm not sure when, but long term other stuff will be changed outa new countertops and backsplash. And a new range hood.
I'm really thinking through lots of details that will impact the overall composition. I'll keep you updated as things come together.

2 comments:

  1. Lydia, that is so exciting! It does look much brighter and better already!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...